Friday, October 28, 2005

Warp Factor -- Fabulous


So, I am slower than other bloggers on commenting on the recent self-identifying of Hikaru Sulu George Takei and Sheryl Swoopes as gay. Being a major-nerd, Sulu's Takei’s outing is great news for me. Sorry, I am just not into the sports thing. On principle, though, I support the WNBA, at least more than I support any other sporting activity. Unless, of course, you count the Annual Challenges on Themyscira as sports.

I firmly believe that the more visible gay folk who are out there, both famous and at the local level, the better our chances are for fighting for our rights. One should also note, however, that both Takei and Swoopes tied their outing to other quests for social justice. Many people still presume queer folk to be white, or that sexuality trumps race and gender.

Each of these two high-profile cases, though, should prompt new discussions within the gay community about race and gender. Takei linked his sexuality and his racial identity together. He drew a moment to note that racism and homophobia still impacts individuals in the U.S. Likewise, Swoopes spoke candidly about the ways that sexism and homophobia influence the general public’s perception of women’s sports.

Though many gay activists are quick to draw parallels to the African-American quest for civil rights, they often presume that the two movements had been divorced. This ignores the many queers of color who have been intimately involved in both movements. Mainstream gay publications and images still focus on white men.

Until we change that, let's salute Swoopes and Sulu Takei. Warp-speed, Mr. Sulu Takei. You score, Ms. Swoopes (Again, I don't really do the sports thing, so it is the best I could think of).

On a side note, I wonder if there is new significance to Sulu’s line in STIV:TVH, “San Francisco, I was born there.”

4 comments:

GayProf said...

Wow! I was clueless about Takei.

Still, Sulu's would make a fantastic name for a gay bar.

Anonymous said...

Cheers to Mr. Sulu! I am glad he said something now - I wish he would have been comfortable enough to say something years ago. Great blog - I enjoyed looking around.

GayProf said...

Thanks, FLS! I am glad you stopped by my little cyberhome.

Anonymous said...

Still, Sulu's would make a fantastic name for a gay bar.

Oh, totally!

Gayprof, I love you forever for the Futurama picture. Gives new meaning to Sulu showing off his rock-hard abs in that episode, eh? ;)